StatCtr

Sunday, May 31, 2015

Book V - Chapter III - Christian and Anastasia Fan Fiction

Chapter III

Bringing the Baby Home

Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove.
O no, it is an ever-fixed mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wand'ring bark,
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.

Shakespeare


A strong healthy cry of a baby fills the room. My first response is panic as I automatically sit up in the bed. Then I realize that it’s coming from the baby monitor on top of my night stand. The infrared light shows small lively arms of our son moving in his bed possibly looking to find his mommy. He is nursing every couple of hours. Even I haven’t gotten that much use out of Ana’s breasts in the last few months, but he would be the only one I’d be willing to share Ana or her breasts with. I slowly get up not to disturb or wake and get off the bed. Ana still has a lot of healing to do. I will bring the little bottomless pit into our bed. I tiptoe out of the bedroom.
“Hi baby!” I say leaning into his crib to pick him up. “Are you hungry again already?” I say cradling him in my arms. He doesn’t stop crying.
“Do you need a diaper change?” I ask him. I take him to the diaper changing station.
“Uhmm. Hmmm… I’ve only done this twice, so be patient with me,” I say to my fidgeting son on the changing table. I manage to wipe him clean and grab a clean diaper only to have him spring a small fountain on to it.
“Teddy, Teddy, Teddy… I know you are a newborn baby, but you’re Christian Grey’s son. We, Grey men know how to control,” I say while I manage to bring another diaper and replace the newly peed one. I put his onesie on and hold him up to my chest.
“Now we go to your milk source,” I murmur kissing his little cheek.
“Oh? Is that all I am to the Grey men?” comes my wife’s reprimanding voice. But the poorly hidden smirk tells me she’s joking.
“Baby, what are you doing out of the bed? I was bringing him to you,” I say.
“I heard you talking to Teddy over the baby monitor, then I watched you interact with him. I just wanted to be a part of it.”
“Well, our son is clean but hungry. He's ready for our four a.m. feeding,” I say.
“Shall I nurse him on this nursing chair?” she asks.
“Baby, I think it would be better if you nursed him in the bed. You’re not supposed to be holding weights for a couple of weeks. If you lie down, you wouldn’t be holding his weight,” I say and brace myself for an argument. She holds her stance for a little while, and Teddy’s hungry wail breaks her resistance.
“Oh, okay, let’s take him to our bed,” she says.
While cradling our son in one arm, I support Ana with the other and take both of them to our bedroom. Anastasia lies down with a big grin and opens her arm to receive Teddy.
“Teddy my boy, welcome to the breast-fest!” I say with a grin.
“Christian!” Ana admonishes me. “I can’t believe you said that! You’re no gentleman!”
“I never claimed I was, baby. But my son requires sustenance.”
“Hand him over to me Mr. Darcy, I mean Christian,” she plays along. I place Teddy in her arms and watch Ana feed our child who latches onto her as if his life depends on it.
Ana nurses him twenty minutes on each side but Teddy doesn’t seem to want to stop eating. Anytime we remove him from the breast, he screams. By the time it’s five a.m. both Ana and Teddy fall asleep. I slowly take our son from our bed who moves his lips to simulate sucking motions and immediately give him his binky before he could wail for Ana again. I rock him in my arms and place him in his bed. How could I love someone so much who just joined our family? I walk to the door to exit his room, but my feet are rooted at the doorway, unwilling to leave him in the room. I walk back to his bed and pick my son up, place him in the bassinet and roll him back to our room, feeling much better. I couldn’t bear to leave him even in a different room. If I had not feared that Ana or I would roll on to him, I’d keep him in our bed. I gently get back into our bed, while one hand holding onto Teddy’s bassinet, sleep claims me.
What wakes me up is not Teddy’s next feeding but the nightmare of his kidnapping. I sit upright shouting "Nooo!" As sweat beads my forehead, I try to calm my breathing. Ana wakes up with my sudden movement.
“What’s wrong?” she asks trying to get out of the bed, immediately concerned. “Teddy!”
“Shhh! He’s sleeping right here. It’s not his feeding time yet. I thought I heard him cry but he’s asleep. Besides, your nurse will come in soon to dress your stitches. You might as well get a little more sleep baby,” I coax her. She tries to blink her sleep away.
“I’m going to work out. I’ll put Teddy’s bassinet on your side of the bed and let Gail and your nurse know that I’ll be away for a little while.”
“Christian, you’ve been taking care of me more than anyone else. I’m glad you’re going to do something for yourself.” I smile, kiss my wife on the forehead and leave to the bathroom.

I work out for about 45 minutes. Taylor comes towards me from the weights section with his phone in his hand after having had a lengthy conversation with someone and informs me that I have visitors. I check my watch. It reads 6:15 a.m.
“At this hour?” I ask. 
“You will want to see them, sir. It’s Pella.”
“Why hasn’t he sent any message?”
“This can’t be done via a message, Mr. Grey. This is not just about the perp, it’s about who hired the perp.”
“Where is he?” I say suddenly all business.
“Sawyer took them to my office.”
“Fine. Bring them into mine in the next fifteen minutes,” I say. I need to take a shower and have all my wits about my head when I hear that shit. But most of all, I need to see my wife and my son. Hear them breathe.
My shower is the quickest I’ve taken in a long time so I can spare an extra minute watching my wife and son sleep. But the minute ticks by fast and I rush to my office so that Ana doesn’t wake up to look for me around the house.
When I get into my office, I meet the somber faces of Pella, Anthony, Welch and Taylor. Sawyer remains outside my study, manning the heavy office door.
“Grey,” nods Pella, followed by “Morning Mr. Grey,” from the rest of the group.
“I’m sure it’s something important that brought you to me this morning. What did you get out of him?”
“The name of your primary enemy,” Alex responds.


“Who would that be?”
“Someone who wants you to suffer, torment you with the most unbearable pain, if not with this perp, he’ll try with another. Clearly your family is not off limits. In fact, they are targets to achieve that end.”
“Who the fuck is it?” I ask both growing angry and impatient.
“One, Roger fucking Lincoln!” I grip the desk, but not for support, just to transfer my exponentially growing rage into something else. My knuckles are so white; I can feel the blood drain from my extremities.
“Are you quite sure? I mean absolutely, beyond the shadow of any doubt kinda…sure?” I ask looking at the sleep deprived faces standing in my office. If they noticed my breath faltering, no one made any indication of noticing it.
“Money trail, meetings in certain restaurants where he wanted to be called Mr. Brioni to arrange this mercenary's services. Waiters and the maître D confirmed his identity to be Mr. Brioni on the dates he met with our perp.”
“What’s the name of the perp?”
“He’s a rouge government asset who freelances on the side, contracting his services to the shady highest bidders. In short, he’s a mercenary, a soldier of fortune. He doesn’t have a name. The minute he became an asset, his identity has been erased. He has aliases. Many. Many. Many aliases.”
“Where is he?” I ask, my arms crossed.
“Big brother wants him back since he’s been a bad boy. But, I’m him holding at a secure location for leverage. If we turn him in, we will have little evidence in getting Lincoln.”
“I don’t want him alive to repeat what he will keep doing!” I shout. Everyone flinches except for Pella.
“Criminals paying for what they have done has never bothered me. But killing him would turn you into a criminal. I can at least think two reasons why that would be very bad for you. However, as it happens, you may get your hands on him quite soon if you so wish. I have to ask you, one final time, do you want the police to handle this, or do you want my men resolve it within this week? I have a busy schedule to keep,” he says with a smile looking at his watch to indicate that time is ticking.
“Police hasn’t done anything to resolve the previous shit storm Linc brought upon me. I can’t say they had been helpful in retrieving my son, either. So, would I trust the fate of my family to a group who had been no help at all? You know the answer to that, Pella!” Besides, a dragged out court case against Lincoln might expose my past I don’t want to share with the world. It would only hurt my wife. It would hurt my business reputation. But, Pella is also right. As much as I want to decimate Lincoln with my bare hands, killing him would no longer be self-defense, but revenge. I have the burning, a nearly uncontrollable desire for retribution inside me. He attacked my family twice. Twice! He wanted my wife dead first. Then he wanted my son, my infant son dead! This boils my blood. If I let him go, if I do nothing, he will never give up and I will always be looking behind me to see when he would strike again. He would not even get his own hands dirty! This can’t be that way. I take charge. All four men see the dilemma as the emotions play out on my face.
Welch speaks up next.
“Mr. Grey, we’ve brainstormed about this already, and came up with a couple of different solutions. We want both the problems to be completely eliminated while protecting your family and your privacy. The first solution is of course to go forward with the apparent course of action. It will lock both Linc and the perp behind bars but it will raise their anger and may give them time to think other methods to harm you.”
“I’d rather kill them both!” I shout, my fury is oozing out of each and every cell of my body.
“Which is why next two solutions might be more appealing to you,” adds Pella firmly.
“The government has an inkling that I am holding the perp and they would like nothing more than to get their hands on him. This isn’t the first side job he has taken and tangled the organization name with powerful lips, mind you that it's an organization that isn’t supposed to exist. That creates a huge problem for them. He does more harm than good. Since the kidnapping of your son had been all over the news including the final showdown, we might have let it slip to the news agencies that the perp may have been killed in the shootout. This is what Lincoln knows happened as does rest of the world.”
“What does that prove when we know both the perp and the puppet master are alive and kicking?"
“It shows to Lincoln that we made no connection between the perp he hired and himself. He sees himself free of any blame. Here comes the second part. Sometimes not all crimes and the criminals can be exposed to public for the crimes they've committed in order to protect the innocent. But we must still punish the guilty. The officials in the shadows are prepared to give the punishment that Lincoln deserves with an equal charge that is totally unrelated to you.” I’m in full attention mode now.
“How?” I ask showing the smidgen of relief I feel.
“He can be charged with attempted murder, kidnapping, aggravated assault, and firearms charges which would put him behind the bars without the possibility of parole.” Rage is still crawling beneath my skin and revenge is pushing to the surface again. It doesn’t feel enough. He meant to kill my child. He was going to have my baby murdered by a ruthless killer with no conscience.  A life snuffed out before even having lived a single full day. How could this be justice?
“What’s the other option?” I ask.
“The other one is that I turn in the perp to government and he goes to a Super Max where all prisoners unequivocally prefer death because each day endured there is full of despair and all hope is dead. And of course we insert Lincoln to the Siberian prison where I kidnapped the other spy to get access to our perp.”
“And the difference between these two options?” I probe.
“For the first instance, they will have no idea, not even inkling that you are the one who fucked them and in the second they would both know.”
“I want them punished. I want to kill them because what they have done is beyond personal.” But am I cruel? I ask myself. I don’t forgive. I want those two nowhere near my family. Not even the possibility of them getting close ever again even in their thoughts. I don't want them staying in some corner of a prison and contemplating more ways to harm my wife and my son. But both the perp and Linc have done enough damage to the world that they can be put away permanently. As I weigh the options put before me, I hear Ana’s voice outside talking to Sawyer, wanting to see me. This brings me to my senses.
“We’ll go with the first option. I want my family out of their minds but due punishment to be delivered to them. I don’t want either one of them out. Ever! No possibility of parole, not even a single reason for them to think about me or my family. I want guarantees that neither of them will be able to get out at all.”
“Already done. The fewer eyes on the police department or any department anywhere because of your high profile, the better for them. Names like yours make everyone nervous. Your profile doesn't only brings local news, but also international news. This makes everyone nervous from local law enforcement to the federal agencies. On the other hand, no one knows who Lincoln is, neither do they care to know him. We’ll make sure that his news won’t even make page twenty seven. Lincoln will fall faster than he can say ‘timber!’ I will let you know the progress later this week,” Pella says.
“Alright then. Keep me abreast of the progress. And remember… If there is any possibility for either of them ever getting out…” I say the meaning hanging.
“Then we’ll make sure they don’t get out...alive,” Pella completes my train of thought.  

“Meeting at this hour? Come on Sawyer! Is something the matter with Christian, with GEH?”
“Mrs. Grey, please. He’s just having a meeting.”
“Out of my way Sawyer!” Ana’s voice is firm and demanding. She pushes her way through the door then her eyes go wide open. She’s in her silk robe pushing the baby’s bassinet with her.
“Oh… I… I’m sorry. I didn’t think you really had a meeting,” she says chagrined. All of the men turn to her and greet her politely. I walk towards my wife to hold her waist to both to support her and to claim her. Her silk robe is floor length, but its 1930s style truly makes my wife look like a fertility goddess with engorged breasts.
“We were just leaving Mrs. Grey,” Pella says. “We’ve had the pleasure of meeting at Taylor's wedding before. I'm not sure if you remember me; I’m Alex Pella. I was in town a short while and since I was told that Christian here would not be going to his office for at least a week, we had to intrude on your hospitality for a short while this morning. Unfortunately, business couldn't wait, and I’m bereaved for time as I'm in town only for a short while.”
“I remember you, Mr. Pella. You came with Mr. Welch,” Ana says. Her statement laced with questions with double layer: Welch is my top security. He would show up during emergencies or security related issues. Pella clearly understands her meaning and he answers without a beat.
“Yes, ma’am. It’s nearly impossible to get to Christian without going through Welch even if we are old college friends. But, I also wanted to personally deliver you and my friend a gift for your baby,” he says as Anthony produces a small but delicately wrapped package. Ana immediately smiles with the gesture doubt erased from her face and her previous question put on a back burner.
“Oh, you didn’t have to do that, Mr. Pella!” she gushes.
“May I?” she points at the box.
“I’d be disappointed if you didn’t,” Pella answers with a warm smile. Ana opens the package excitedly.
“Wow! A silver cup and spoon!” she chimes holding up an intricately carved ornate cup with a spoon.
“Now you can say that he grew up with a silver cup on his lips and a silver spoon in his hand.”
“Oh!” Ana gushes again when she notices there is another present in the box. “This bracelet! It’s exquisite! What is it made of?” she asks. A jewelry may have been an intimate and ultimately an inappropriate gift if it was made from expensive stones. But this one isn't. 
“It’s coral ma’am. It’s an ancient tradition to give coral bracelets for its therapeutic and auspicious qualities.  If you have paid attention to the renaissance paintings, even baby Jesus was wearing coral jewelry. It’s a very ancient tradition,” Pella replies. 
"You're an art lover," Ana remarks. 
"Yes, ma'am."
Ana lifts the bracelet up with bright eyes. It’s clearly evident that it’s handmade with painstaking effort. It looks both expensive and inexpensive. There’s a small eye shaped blue amulet at the end of the clasp.
“An evil eye,” he says shrugging.
“I didn’t know you were a superstitious man, Mr. Pella,” Ana grins, joking. 
“On the contrary, I’m not, Mrs. Grey. These are ancient traditions and I happened to love art that speaks and practical. And, there’s an undeniable comfort in tradition and rituals. Don’t you think?” Ana nods her agreement.
“Well, we have taken enough of Christian’s and your time early this morning. We will leave you to your family time, ma’am. Christian. Congratulations again! I’m quite happy for you both,” he says nodding with a smile as if he only came to congratulate on our baby.
The forearm shake Pella gives me on his way out doesn’t escape Ana’s notice, and neither does the brief wordless exchange that goes between us. She tenses under my arm, but doesn’t say anything. When they all leave the office she turns to me. Teddy is still sleeping.
“You shouldn’t be up baby. It’s only been a day since you got back from the hospital. Teddy and I need you to heal.”


“Why did you have such an early meeting?” she asks.
“Men like me and Pella have very tight schedules. We try to make the best of the available time for important meetings. It’s only been two days since you and Teddy got out of the hospital, I wasn’t about to go to the office for business. We went for the next best option,” I say which is part of the truth but not the truth she’s seeking.
“Why are you up anyway? You must be exhausted. Teddy was a greedy eater last night.” She smiles at my remark.
“I received several texts from Kate. The dinging from my phone woke me up,” she says. I raise my eyebrows.
“What could she be texting you about? Shouldn’t she be enjoying her honeymoon?”
“I know I said the same thing. She kept asking me how I’m handing everything and if Teddy is okay, whether you are attentive. I told her you were overly attentive. What’s interesting is that your mother also texted me almost asking identical questions. If I feel well, if Teddy is well and whether they could come and see us. Then I was about to go back to sleep, Mia texted me asking me if you had your talk with me yet. So, I figured something is up and as usual I’m the last person to know. I first thought that the doctors said something was wrong with me or Teddy and you were concealing it from me,” she states.
I shake my head vehemently, but keep my face blank.
“Come on baby, I don’t want you standing. Let’s go to the Great Room,” I tell her. Without giving her a chance to protest, I take her and push Teddy bassinet while holding Ana’s hand with the other hand. This was a talk I wanted to avoid. Still want to avoid for the time being. Once we are seated on the sofa, she turns to me again.
“Christian, I know you. Does Teddy have health problems because I tried so hard to have natural birth?” she asks. Her statement takes me aback. Guilt is all over her face and she's got an agonized look on her face.
“Of course not! He’s a very healthy baby. You should know better with the size of his appetite,” I smile to give some semblance of relief.  
“Then what? Your top security man, Mr. Pella and his man were here early hours of the morning. Something tells me that my suspicions are valid but not the direction I’m going. Soooo, what’s up? What don’t I know?” she asks worried.
I look at her blank faced.
“Tell me!” she demands. “I’ll try to find out, you know I will. I'd rather it hear from you! I swear to God, if I hear another important piece of news about me or my son from my best friend, I will be very furious! I'm your wife! Not her!” 
“I know. I wanted to shield you from it at least until you got physically better.” I start. Her eyes widen.
“So, something is wrong!” she whispers in horror.
“No, something was wrong. It is now rectified. But, promise me you hear it out all the way before you make any judgments against me or the choices I made on my own for both of us,” I plead.
“Choices? For what?”
I take a shaky breath in.
“Do you remember the incident in New York? The perp that was following you?”
“Yes?” her acknowledgement is shaky and fearful.
“He came after our baby.”
“After our baby how?” her eyes are rapidly blinking in difficulty comprehending the full effect of my statement. She tries to stand up on wobbly legs, but fall back into the sofa. She pulls Teddy’s bassinet closer to her, protectively as if the danger is near, right in the house.
“A few hours after our baby was born, he was kidnapped,” I say slowly. Ana looks at our baby sleeping in his bassinet, and then to me just to be sure he’s here and this isn’t just a horrible dream.
“You said, kidnapped. He’s right here! Isn’t he? Right here?”
“Yes, he is. I had to leave you at the hospital when you were recovering from the birth,” I say gritting my teeth, “and we chased the perp to get our baby back,” giving her only the essential information.
“Why would anyone want to kidnap our baby?” she asks uncomprehending how can anyone be so cruel. I tilt my head to the side.
“I’m Christian Grey, the 25th richest man in the world. Just by default, for being me, I attract enemies, money hungry people, or someone whose toes I may have stepped on in the past.”
“How did you find Teddy then?” asks Ana unable to resist, picks our son up from his bassinet and hold him tight into her chest.
“I don’t think it would have been possible if it wasn’t for Pella. He was the first one to discover him missing and got a description of the perp.” It’s hard to relive the events of the day. My heart skips a beat. I take a deep, shaky breath.
“So, Mr. Pella’s visit was about Teddy’s kidnapping this morning! What happened to the bastard that kidnapped my baby?”
Our baby…” I correct her. She rolls her eyes. Then she holds Teddy even closer and starts sobbing with full impact of the loss and recovery of our infant son.
“Baby, baby… Ana! He’s safe. He’s here, right in your arms where I wanted him to be. As long as I’m alive, no one can take him away from you. Do you understand?” I say holding both her and our baby in my embrace. Teddy makes a whimpering sound without opening his eyes. Ana starts rocking him to soothe whatever has bothered out son.
“Shhhh…” she says with suppressed sobs.
“Where is the kidnapper? Did they capture him?” she asks angrily.
“The news from the police is…” I say holding my breath, not willing to lie to my wife but also to protect her from further worry, not check her back with every step, then I wait for a little bit.
“What? Did they let him go already?” she asks incredulous; my wife is the embodiment of a lethal mother feline. When I don’t say a word, she raises her voice standing up with Teddy in her arms.
“Christian Grey! You tell me that they didn’t release the bastard who kidnapped my son!”
“No, no, no! No one got released. After the chase and it is a blur to me now, the police got involved, my security detail, and there was a crash, a rollover. The perp was still making threats against our son. I died a thousand deaths to get to Teddy and the fucker was always three steps ahead of us. When his vehicle rolled over, I was terrified. The perp had the opportunity to hurt Teddy if the crash didn't harm him. We were helpless in a way. I was ready to change places with Teddy if he let my baby go. But, before he could respond, Melissa shot him.”
“Is the bastard dead?” Ana asks. It’s a direct question. What do I say? I won’t lie to her.
“The official news from the police is that the perpetrator is dead.” I state. That's what the police reports and the news agencies will say.
“So, is that why all the top security were here? Would the police want to arrest Melissa? You won’t let them, will you? She saved our son’s life! If she didn’t kill him, I would expect you to shoot him! If I hadn’t been strapped in a hospital gurney, I would have done it myself!” She’s frantic now.
“Ana! Ana... Ana... Calm down, baby. No one is arresting Melissa. She works for me. He was the perpetrator. This was a rescue mission for our newborn baby. No jury in the world would convict her. He is the scum! No one will be able to arrest Melissa.”
“Christian, you know how they released Hyde on bail before! It’s as if victims’ rights don’t matter! You can’t let them take Melissa! She saved Teddy!” with worry and fear.
I reach to my wife in a single step and hug her sideways since she’s holding the baby who is now waking up. Ana’s trembling. Anger? Rage? Fear? Worry? A combination of all?

“Baby, listen to me: Melissa is fine. She isn’t going anywhere. She’s a skilled bodyguard and she was just doing her job. They can’t as much take her to downtown to get her statement, let alone arrest her for any supposed crime. She will keep guarding you and Teddy,” I say as I gently seat her. This is the reason I shield her from news that would devastate her. “I will never allow anyone…anyone to hurt either one of you! You and Teddy are my entire universe!”

Sia - Salted Wound

“Why didn’t you tell me before?” she asks disappointed. But before I get an answer out, Teddy starts crying. She coos him and offers him her breast which he takes greedily.
“Baby, you had just given birth by C-section. I had marshal in all my focus, control and patience which you know I don’t have a lot of, to locate and rescue our baby safely. I couldn’t have done that if you knew about, suffering and scared to death! Look how terrified you are now even though you hold him in your arms. I could only handle one emergency, and I chose the life and death one where our baby needed me to save him. It’s my job to protect both of you!” I say vehemently. She blinks several times and lets what I said sink in.

“You love Teddy! You really love him a lot! Christian!” she sobs extending her hand to me wanting me to be even closer.
"In what universe I wouldn't love my son? Of course I love him!" 
“I gave birth to him, but you gave him back to me!”
“Don’t you know that I’ve been ready to hand you the world since I met you? How could deny you the one thing you love the most?”
The full, frightful weight of the kidnapping falls onto her like a thick, dark, suffocating blanket. I hug her and our son comforting, letting them feel that I am their protector.
“Enough of the morbidity,” I whisper gently. “We have a son! You have given me my son!”
“Our son,” she says shakily with the slightest hint of a weak smile.
“Are the reporters camped outside of the property?” she asks.
“There may be some, but I think they’re there to get a glimpse of the post baby pictures of my gorgeous wife and the first images of our beautiful son. At this very moment, I’m the luckiest man alive!”
She kisses me and Teddy protests with the shifting of her breast with his cries.
“Welcome to the parenthood!” Ana says with a genuine smile this time.

*****          *****


It's been three weeks since we brought my wife and son home from the hospital and he is absolutely thriving. While both of them sleeping I manage to work in my office about three hours. My phone buzzes at 9:00 a.m. in the morning. I look at the number with concern. Many horrid scenarios cross through my head.
“Hey mom, is everything okay?” Events of than three weeks ago still make me nervous every time the phone rings.
“Good morning to you, too, Christian. Yes, everything is great," she chirps happily. "We were wondering,” she says hesitating, “if we could come over to see Teddy.” She asks her question in hesitation, worried that she might be imposing on us.
“Sure, mom,” I say knowing Ana has been itching to have some company or an opportunity to going out. I think company would keep her at home a little longer. We had taken Teddy for his first pediatrician appointment, but after realizing Ana was in pain during the trip and at the pediatrician's office, I made sure the doctor came home for the second appointment. But she has been healing well and she’s itching to go out. Since the reporters are still flocking around us, I think it’s best to the news of our son’s kidnapping be replaced by some other trivial news that could grab the public interest.
“We’ve seen him just once this week. Elliot and Kate came back from their honeymoon a few days ago. Both of them were anxious to meet him. Of course, if all of us are too much, we can come another day. But, I think I would have a hard time keeping Mia at home or your dad for that matter.”
“Yes, Elliot texted me about their return. He also said that Kate now has a permanent job at the Seattle Times as a reporter. We’re very happy for her. She’s quite tenacious,” I say disguising my discomfort about her overreaching tenacity.
"It would be nice to see you all."
“Wonderful!" she exclaims. 
"When do you want to come?”
“Are you quite sure if it’s a good day to come today? It’s Saturday, you and Ana may have other plans.”
“No, mom. Since the baby sleeps and eats often - nurses mostly,” I qualify, “I prefer that we’re home this weekend.” This is not the primary reason of course. I have the means to provide plenty of privacy and proper comfort for my wife and baby. I just want to make sure she’s fully healed and not subjected to paparazzi and reporters.
“Okay, then. How about around 2 p.m.? This will give enough time for Ana to sleep in but we want to be able to see the baby when he’s not sleeping,” she says unable to keep her excitement out of her voice. My son already wrapped every member of the family right around his little finger.
“2 p.m. it is then,” I say with a smile.


“Mrs. Taylor!” I call out after I hang up with my mom. She’s busily working in the kitchen.
“Yes, Mr. Grey,” she turns to me with a professional smile.
“We have company this afternoon, Gail. My parents, sister, brother and sister-in-law are coming for a visit,” I inform her.
“Are they coming for lunch or dinner, sir?”
“Let’s be prepared for afternoon snacks and dinner.”
“Of course, sir. I already have Mrs. Grey’s approved menu. Is there anything additional or special you would add for this evening, sir?” she asks.
“I’m sure the regular menu is fine for dinner, but, you can have finger foods ready for afternoon snacks.”
I feel her presence before she utters the first word.
“It’s barely ten Christian. Is Teddy’s hunger rubbing off on you?” Ana asks walking into the kitchen.
“Hi, baby! You’re up!”
She comes wrapping her arms around my waist. I pull her to me and kiss her deep, company or not. She’s my wife, my woman; the mother of my child. I feel very possessive of her. Her hands tangle into my hair. Pulling me towards her, she tries to merge her body with mine.
“Nooo,” I whisper into her mouth.
“Yesss…” she murmurs back and I can feel Mrs. Taylor discreetly leaving the kitchen to give us privacy with a tiny smile on her lips.

Frank Sinatra - Witchcraft

“No!” I reiterate. “I crave you more than you can imagine Ana, but remember what Doctor Greene said: It will take six weeks for you to heal.”
“But you don’t need to disturb the stitches,” she groans in protest.
“Baby, I promise that once you heal, I will make it worth your while that we waited. But I can’t do it without making sure you are fully healed. Teddy and I both need you. You need to  be be completely well. Okay? You know I never back away from my promises.”
“I am well. I’ve had a private nurse who doted over me; my doctor cleared me to hold the baby because I’m healing faster than average patients. My stitches are healing beautifully," she runs her hand over her belly across the stitches under her shirt. "I don’t know if I can wait this long.” 
“Yes, you can. Besides, we have company coming,” I say changing the topic hoping to shift her attention elsewhere.
“Company? Who is coming?” she asks still holding onto me tightly.
“Family. Since Elliot and Kate came back from their honeymoon, they want to come with my parents to see the baby. But, I think my parents and Mia are totally in love with him and looking for any excuse to spend time with Teddy.”
“What’s not to love? Even the security details find excuses to see him. He’s going to be one spoiled baby,” she says in awe. “What time are they coming?”
“At about 2.”
“2? Oh dear! I better get ready! I want to look my best for the company.”
“Baby, relax. They know you are recovering. I don’t want you to rush and hurt yourself!” I say as she is trying to untangle herself out of my arms.
“Christian, I want to look my best because I just had a baby. I don’t want them to think that I have gotten fat.”
“You are perfect! Especially with the oversize breasts!” She grins looking down.
“Yes, I’m very fond of them.”
“So are Teddy and I,” I respond with a wink.

*****          *****

 “I’ve seen you this week already. I’m here to see my nephew. Out of my way!” Mia teases me as she mock pushes me out of her way.
“Mia, he’ll wake up in about 10-15 minutes if you wait,” I tell her.
“Oh, please Ana! Can I please see him? I missed him so!” she turns to Ana to take advantage of her soft side.
“Mia! Let him get his sleep,” mom chides her.
Everyone gushes at how amazing Ana looks. My brother gives her a big hug.
“Hello little mother! We couldn’t wait to see you and Teddy! We missed you too bro, but we could have waited to see you,” Elliot teases giving me a hug and a pat on my shoulder. Kate gives Ana a prolonged hug. She holds her hands pulling herself back to give Ana a good once over.
“You look amazing! Motherhood agrees with you! I’m so glad to see you smiling and happy. And look at those knockers! They’re huge!” she whispers, but it’s still loud enough for everyone to hear it. Ana blushes.
“Perks of motherhood no one complains about in this household,” she beams as a response. We move the family to the Great Room where everyone can sit and socialize comfortably.
“I heard that you got a permanent position at Seattle Times. Congratulations! We're so happy for you!” Ana gushes.
“Thank you, Ana,” Kate beams. “If you could pick up the phone yesterday, I could have told you myself. I thought I’d leave it to when we came to see you.”
“I’m sorry about that. These days, I’m trying to sleep when I can to heal as fast as I can, and when the baby is awake, I don’t want to be separate from him even a single minute. I’m so in love with my baby!” Her eyes shine brightly when she talks about Teddy.
“I thought that was the case. I texted you a few times, but you only sent very short responses and haven't returned to me a second time. I was really worried about you Ana. Are you feeling better now?”
“Oh, I feel well and blissfully tired! Dr. Greene says I’m healing faster than most other C-section moms. That’s thanks to Christian monitoring everything, making sure I’m well cared for. He’s been a doting husband and father. I couldn’t be happier.” Her loving smile lights up the room as if she has everything that matters in the whole world.
Kate scans her face carefully for any signs of trouble or distress and looks relieved finding none.
“When did your mom leave?” she asks a follow up question.
“She had to go after the first week. Bob can’t function without my mom.”
“Hey bro!” shouts Elliot from the other end of the room. “When can we see the baby?”
“Wait a few more minutes. He tends to wake up on his own,” I respond while keeping a close ear what Kate is going to say. But what I expect from her Kate doesn’t come from her.
“Christian! The damn paparazzi is hounding everyone about Teddy’s kidnapping seeking information! They’re even parked outside your entrance,” Mia blurts out. I give her a forbidding look. Both mom and dad look appalled.
“Mia!” they shout reprimanding.
“Whaaat? Well, they are! I just wondered when they would stop. The last time they went on a couple of months,” she continues as if no one chided her. Mia has no brain to mouth filter.
Now that the cat is out of the bag, all eyes are on Ana’s face. Since she doesn’t make any shocked gesture, my parents breathe a sigh of relief. This is the first time the topic is out.

“How are you feeling about all this?” Kate asks holding Ana’s hand.
“I am extremely grateful that Christian and the security team were able to find Teddy without getting him harmed. I would never want Christian to live through such an ordeal ever again. Apparently I slept through the whole thing. In a way, I’m glad I did. I would have died with worry,” she says with guilt laden voice.
“You can’t feel guilty, Ana! You were already tired at the wedding and then you went through a long labor. We were all so worried about you. Christian was absolutely frantic,” Kate says. Kate Grey is finally learning to be a part of the Grey family? Curious. Ana pats my knee lovingly where her hand stays with a happy smile on her lips.
“Oh, Christian!" Kate says turning to me as if she has an after thought. "Have you heard that Roger Lincoln has been arrested two days ago with massive tax fraud and evasion charges after several members of his board came forward who by the way, interestingly have been granted full immunity? The rumor is that government is getting him like they got Al Capone. Apparently, they can’t convict him for whatever the real crime he has committed, they’re getting him for unrelated charges to lock him behind the bars.” I stiffen and Ana notices my reaction under her hand.
“Roger Lincoln? Elena’s husband? The one who paid for Jack Hyde’s bail?” Mia asks. Ana looks at me with shocked, bewildered eyes. Kate's gaze misses nothing.
I shrug.
“I’m glad he’s behind bars, but he’s no concern of mine,” I say dismissing. Ana is deathly silent.
“I’m assigned to the case. This news normally wouldn’t be an as big a deal for Seattle Times, but since you overtook his company, my newspaper is making it a big deal because of that particular connection,” Kate says nonchalantly looking at her French manicured nails as if the subject she’s laying before me is secondary to her thoughts.
“Surely, you can’t take a case that would be a conflict of interest for you,” my father says to Kate.
“I’m a professional journalist, Carrick. I assure you that it would not be a conflict of interest for me. Besides, it’d be better me than someone else. Because they’re looking at the news from two different angles," she goes on explaining without giving a second thought about Ana. "First angle they presume is that Christian too may be involved in the tax evasion, but, I told them that it would be unlikely because Christian took over the company years after the evasion occurred and…” but Elliot cuts her.
“You never told me you took a case to investigate and write about my brother,” Elliot says accusing.
“It’s not about Christian; it’s about a Mr. Roger Lincoln,” Kate says indignantly.
“What’s the other angle?” I ask without a note of the distress I’m feeling. Keep your enemies closer and all. 
“The other is that because you overtook the company so fast, they feel you may have a hidden animosity against the man or his company which may make a juicy story and they want to dig deeper,” she says. I shrug.
“Do you know how many companies GEH overtook in just the past five years?"
"How many?" she asks nonchalantly.  
"Thirty-seven companies of various sizes. Some small, some big. I don’t do all the acquisitions. I have amply paid business managers working to do just that. And Lincoln Timber was a profitable acquisition because it was going down fast under bad management of a greedy board.” I take a sip of my beer and smile at Kate.
“I am very good at making money Kate and the Lincoln Timber as well as its assets are fully liquidated. Surely, you should have some idea about how big businesses are run from your dad and his company. The companies GEH acquires are like stocks. You don’t need to keep them forever, just long enough to make money.”
“But are you cooperating with the feds about Roger Lincoln? Providing them financial records and papers from Lincoln Timber?”
“Kate!” Elliot chides firmly.
But Elliot's voice is entirely suppressed by someone who has been totally silent during the entire exchange.
“I thought you came here to see me. No, first I thought you came here to see the baby, but you’re here to grill my husband for a fucking newspaper article!” Ana stands up. Disappointment, hurt and anger drips from each word she utters.
“No, no! You know the tenacious side of me, Ana! I can’t resist a story. I’m a journalist!” Kate defends herself.
“A journalist? You're my best friend and a part of the Grey family first. I will not allow your Spanish inquisition in my own home!” Ana says firmly without raising her voice, but she doesn’t need to. 
“I’m sorry, Ana. I just think he’s hiding something,” Kate whispers.
“Everyone has secrets Kate. Even you! He isn’t going to divulge his business secrets with Seattle Times and the rest of the world so you can have a story! This is my home, my family!”
“Don’t you want to know what is being hidden?”
“My God, Kate! I just had a baby. My baby was kidnapped the day he was born. My husband brought him back to me! I would prefer to focus on my infant son and my family. Forgive me if Mr. Lincoln and his legal troubles have been the farthest thing from my mind! I. Simply. Don’t. Care!” Ana says turning her back and starts to walk away from the living room.
“Kate, shut the hell up!” Elliot comes to her side holding her arm in silent warning. She shrugs him.
“They think the two incidents are related, Ana,” Kate says. Ana turns around on her heels.
“So, you’re here to find out our family secrets for your job?” Her voice is hurt.
“No, Ana! Exactly the opposite! I want to protect my best friend.”
My parents and sister are too stunned to say anything with this exchange.
“It seems like everyone thinks that I’m an invalid, unable to care for herself. Thank you Kate. I can protect myself and where I can't I believe it’s Christian’s job and he’s been doing a spectacular job so far. What I needed from you is to be my best friend. Not make decisions on my behalf. We’re supposed to be sisters, not you making my family a subject of inquiry so you can write a story.” Ana walks away grabbing the baby monitor receiver from the coffee table. I have had enough of Kate's crap.
“I need to have a word with you two. Now!” I bark to Kate and Elliot.
 “I have to talk to Ana. I hurt her feelings. That was the farthest thing from my mind! I was only trying to make her aware…” Both her face and her voice falls. I stand up, gaze at my brother and his wife.
“Now!” I reiterate.

Either Kate Kavanagh learns to be a Grey today or permanently cut out of our lives. At this very moment, I don’t care which. 


*****
Chapter IV is coming up later today.

44 comments:

Unknown said...

Felicidade me define neste momento !
Parabéns pela belíssima história, aguardo ansiosa pelos próximos capítulos :)

Unknown said...

Finally! Waited so long!! I love it, i hope the chapters come fast now!

Anonymous said...

Hope all is well with you and yours,
Nice surprise! Thank you for the post. Loving the way he is connecting with Teddy.
P.S.
Who saw the movie and what did you think?

Kamila

Unknown said...

Emine,parabéns.
Mais um ótimo capítulo. Estou pirando aqui,socorro!!! Kate sempre abrindo demais a boca,não tem jeito haha. Continue melhorando nossos dias com essa história apaixonante. Sou sua grande fã,acompanho sempre o blog e sua página em rede social. Neusa,traduz isso para eu surtar ainda mais porfavor kkkk. Beijo Emine,aguardando ansiosamente o dia em que "Echoes In Eternety" será publicado no Brasil. ;)

Unknown said...

Grazie Emine! questo capitolo è favoloso! tu sei fantastica.!!!:-****
thanks Emine! This capture is fabulous!
you are fantastic! !!-:****

Unknown said...

this kate ..... the lives of Grey is a daily emotion, beautiful chapter and now I want more, you always creates this expectation to the next and we spent the month in tension by waiting more excitement. I know it's repetitive, but you are always wonderful and perfect writer.

Unknown said...

Emine, a cada capítulo vc nós surpreendente mais, fico com urticárias esperando os capítulos. Por favor não demore com os próximos. Que Deus continue lhe abençoando abundantemente. Beijos.

Unknown said...

Omg what an amazing chapter. Thank you for posting and I hope your friends is doing well.

Unknown said...

WAU QUE TREMENDO CAPITULO,.CRISTIAN ADORABLE COMO SIEMPRE, ESO SI GREY DEBE DARLE UN FUERTE PARADO A kATE, ES MUY PERIODISTA, Y NO MIDE CONSECUENCIAS, CRISTIAN TIENE QUE DARLE SU REPRIMENDA IGUAL ELLIOT QUE NUNCA HA PODIDO CONTROLARLA.
GRACIAS EMINE ERES FABULOSA, VALE LA PENA LA ESPERA, MIL GRACIAS.

Maria Monteiro said...

Great Emine! A sua capacidade de enriquecer um texto chega a impressionar! E o resultado disso é o nosso envolvimento cada vez maior como seus leitores. Obrigada. Maria Monteiro.

Unknown said...

Great chapter!!!!! I hope they come much quicker now. Hope life is going well for you and how is your friend doing now?

Angela P

Unknown said...

Que capitulo maravilhoso!!
Esta é a Ana que conhecemos!!
Sensacional!!
Esta Kate não tem jeito, realmente é preciso dar um basta!!

Emine, voce é maravilhosa!
Obrigada por tudo, por nos dar este presente!
Meu domingo ficou mais emocionante!!

Beijos

Unknown said...

Ansiosa pela tradução!

Unknown said...

Ai que alegria dois capítulos de uma vez???? Ai adoroooo. E bem feito p Kate intrometida. Tomaaaaa

Eliane said...

Venho acompanhando esse blog há muito tempo e também os comentários. Eu simplesmente amei descobrir o blog, amo a história de Ana e Cristian. Amei mais ainda a de Cristian por Emine. Fico ansiosa esperando novidades e NUNCA mim decepciono. Emine que criatividade maravilhosa vc tem, gente Cristian é Maravilhoso. Eu tinha que comentar essa reação de Ana a respeito da sua melhor amiga, aff!!!!! que mulher chata, coitado do Elliot. Obg Emine por nos dá esse presente. Sem esquecer a nossa tradutora. Bjos para vocês

Anonymous said...

wow thank you for this formidable chapter

Anonymous said...

wow thank you for this formidable chapter

Mari Lins said...

Emine querida, emocionante capítulo. Tirou-me lágrimas no momento em que Christian conta a Anastasia sobre o sequestro. Como ele amadurece a cada capítulo e me surpreende com suas atitudes. Kate deve aprender a ser uma Grey ou não estará bem com a família toda, principalmente seu marido.
Um pedaço que me emocionou:
"Você ama Teddy! Você realmente o ama muito, Christian! - ela soluça estendendo a mão para mim, me querendo ainda mais perto.

"Em que universo eu não amo meu filho? É claro que eu o amo!"

"Eu dei à luz a ele, mas você deu ele de volta para mim!"

"Você não sabe que eu estive pronto para entregar-lhe o mundo desde que lhe conheci? Como poderia negar-lhe a única coisa que você mais ama?"

Mónica Pernadas said...

Querida Emine que capitulo lindo,adorei a interação de Christian com teddy e Ana.
Essa Kate não aprende que primeiro vem a familia acho que Ana a colocou no devido lugar,vamos ver o que Christian vai fazer..............bem ansiosa pelos proximos capitulos,beijocas grandes e continue assim nos emocionando com essa linda história.

Angie Adams said...

Thank for another amazing chapter Emine. I hope all is well with you and your family.

mzthang said...

Hi Emine,

You had me on the edge of my seat. I wanted to put my hand through the pages and shut Kate up. Damn she is so annoying. smdh. On a brighter note..... honey you rock.
Thanks for the wonderful chapter.

Wanting to muzzle Kate from the Caribbean
Roses.

Anonymous said...

EMINE

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR WRITING TO US AGAIN. AS USUAL THESE 2 CHAPTERS ARE FANTASTIC. i DO HAVE A QUESTION I HOPE YOU ANSWER. THE BLONDE THAT HELPED TAKE THE BABY OUT OF THE NURSERY WAS IT ELANA LINCOLN? ITS TOTALLY GOT ME CRAZY? i HOPE YOU WRITE SOON. SORRY I HAVEN'T WRITTEN IN A LONG TIME BEEN DEALING WITH MY OWN FAMILY PROBLEMS. HOPE ALL IS WELL WITH YOUR FRIEND.

LOVE JANICE FROM N.J.

Anonymous said...

Hi. I love love your story!!! But there were a few errors in the last chapter, first Ana's moms husband's name is bob not Phil and you put down that Ana never met pella before when she actually did meet him at Taylor and Gail's wedding.

Unknown said...

O.M.G. ..... so happy the family is home and safe. Glad Anna didn't completely freak out about the"incident" but mostly I'm glad Kate is finally getting her butt handed to her. It's so completely awesome. Love this chapter

pila said...

Estou com urticaria esperando a tradução. Por favor, não demora.

Unknown said...

Neusa querida precisamos do teu maravilhoso trabalho de tradução. Não demora por favor! !!!!

Unknown said...

Neusa querida precisamos do teu maravilhoso trabalho de tradução. Não demora por favor! !!!!

Unknown said...

Neusa querida precisamos do teu maravilhoso trabalho de tradução. Não demora por favor! !!!!

Marie Noëlle said...

I love your stories !!! it's so real like the real books ! I heard that el james wrote a story of christian's version but for me it can't be better than yours ! Congratulation really you did a very great job ! it's amazing !
With the real story i was fustrated with sort of lack of information (like the wedding, the honeymoon, the pregnancy...) and christian's thought of course ! when i read your story it was like i read a complement of this real book, like you were the autor of this trilogy. please continue !

Anonymous said...

Great chapter. Can't wait to see how the story unfolds. Do Christian or Ana have the same supernatural connection that Alex has. Perhaps neither one of them remember. From reading your story, I have seen hints that Melissa, Taylor and possibly Sawyer are. What does this mean for Gail? Is she a part of the connection too? I wonder only because I feel that Alex wants to help Christian and Ana for more reasons that he has let on. I feel that there is some connection between the too that Christian or Ana is not aware of. Kind of like Elissa not remember her connection to Alex. I am thoroughly enjoying both of your stories. I have just found this cite recently. I want to read your book soon.

Jaque Nasaré said...

What a wonderful chapter !Kate as always , wanting super protect Ana and not realizing that this away.Thank you Emine , I'll read the next today .


Unknown said...

Great chapter Emine.....I think we all want to reach through and slap Kate. You are a master story teller. Can't wait for more!
Hope you and yours are doing well. Hugs to you

Unknown said...

Great chapter Emine.....I think we all want to reach through and slap Kate. You are a master story teller. Can't wait for more!
Hope you and yours are doing well. Hugs to you

Anonymous said...

Minha vontade nesse momento é de amordaçar a Kate, que mulher inconveniente.......

Unknown said...

Nessa traduz pra nós, Emine obrigada pelos capitulos

Anonymous said...

Somebody really needs to stop Kate!

Unknown said...

Eminé you're simply THE BEST.
every time I read one of your new chapter , I think about it for days and my mind flies off , imagine , and dream ...
ILY Nicoletta

Lete said...

Adorei!!Parabéns Emine pelo seu belo trabalho.

Anonymous said...

I have to say I'm reading GREY and all I'm thinking is your version is so much better, i can't wait for your next update :D

Unknown said...

Another amazing chapter

Marie Idelfonso said...

Hoje relendo os livros fiquei curiosa em relação à Len Mattson e seu filho doente que Christian ajudou!O filho melhorou? Se ainda não melhorou, como anda o tratamento? Len vai encontrar Christian e Anna em algum momento? Adorei o capítulo, agora indo para o IV! E já esperando os próximos! Kisses!

Anonymous said...

I liked this chapter a lot. Kept me on my teos.

Unknown said...

OMGI love this story and all the extras you have added to it. You're an amazing writer and I pray that you never stop writing. Thank you again for sharing this story and I can't wait to read more.

Unknown said...

OMGI love this story and all the extras you have added to it. You're an amazing writer and I pray that you never stop writing. Thank you again for sharing this story and I can't wait to read more.